Beams: rays of light; to radiate light; to shine; to smile expansively; to emit; to transmit;
the bar of a
balance; to support/brace against stress; on the right track.


Digital Photography and Art by DiDi Hendley. Now...Words.

Monday, July 5, 2010

July Intensity Project Day 5-E. Paul Torrance’s Creative Manifesto

"...but I now realize that I was writing [guidelines for his Manifesto to help children/adults live more creatively] for myself” (The Manifesto: A Guide To Developing a Creative Career, p. 93)

How wonderful! I find that often research for some obscure topic will resonate some truth to me...which I often is a fundamental truth that I need to discover. I believe we are guided to such topics to show us truths that need enlightenment (we just didn't know it yet!)
E. Paul Torrance’s Manifesto

  • Don’t be afraid to fall in love with something and pursue it with intensity.
  • Know, understand, take pride in, practice, develop, exploit, and enjoy your greatest strengths.
  • Learn to free yourself from the expectations of others and walk away from the games they impose on you. Free yourself to play your own game.
  • Find a great teacher or mentor who will help you.
  • Don’t waste energy trying to be well-rounded.
  • Do what you love and can do well.
  • Learn the skills of interdependence.
I really love Day Five's topic of the July Intensity Project, Lisa. The first declaration resonated with me! (Although, in all honesty, they all have great impact.)

I believe too often the "norm" regards intensity as a negative; and those of us who are predisposed to be intense and passionate are expected to conform to their way of thinking. I love that this project celebrates and encourages our passion.

Too many years have been wasted trying to understand what I wanted to "be" when I grew up...at 47, I now know that if I don't create, I am not happy. I've found such contentment and joy in the past months just living by that first declaration...by not being afraid to fall in love with something and pursuing it with intensity. Acceptance and appreciation are great things, but they aren't required if you are happy with your own personal pursuits. That also fits into the third declaration, freeing yourself from the expectations of others.

I don't have the ability to twitter via phone...I use my pc. I believe that Twitter has provided me with the great teacher/mentor by establishing relationships with folks such as yourself, Lisa, and the others who have inspired, encouraged and enlightened me with their perspectives, stories and information. I never would have thought of using this service as such...but have truly relished this unexpected delight.

Do what you love and can do well...that is an every-day, practiced art form, IMHO. "Well" is so relative, it also could be a conflict if one expects outside sources to define what is "well-done." I believe "Do what you love and love what you do," might be preferable to me, it removes any connotation that seeks approval.

Loved today's assignment. Thanks for sharing all this wonderful information and challenging us to consider, share and create.

No comments:

Post a Comment